GlobalPittsburgh helps international newcomers integrate into the local culture and community by arranging short-term homestays with local families.
A homestay with an American host family is a great way to experience life in the USA in the home of an individual host, host couple, or family. A short-term homestay is a great way to begin your stay in Pittsburgh. You will learn more about the communities and areas around your university or office, as well as what Pittsburgh has to offer visitors.
Why should I consider staying in a homestay?
- A “homestay” is a cultural exchange in which a person visiting or temporarily staying in another country lives with a family. Homestays involve relationships between people and should not be confused with a boarding-house or hotel experience in which a person only rents a room.
- You’ve got tutors in your home – your family can help you with homework, idioms, vocabulary, and pronunciation. You can practice your English language skills daily.
- Living with a family provides a greater sense of security for some students.
- A homestay exposes students to a rich variety of cultural learning opportunities, such as family activities, holiday celebrations, religious practices, sporting events, etc.
- Fees associated with homestays are much cheaper than those of hotels, apartments, or dormitories. Many of our host families share meals with their international guests.
- You do not need to worry about buying additional items like pillows, blankets, mirrors, desks, bedding, and towels. It is all available for you to use in the host’s house.
- You do not need to pay any additional fees for electricity, internet, water, gas, heat, trash removal; it is all included in your monthly compensation.
- A homestay often results in students developing deep, lasting friendships with their families. Such a personal connection gives many students a real sense of stability in their lives here.
Why choose GlobalPittsburgh as a homestay provider?
- GlobalPittsburgh has been arranging homestays for international visitors for nearly 60 years.
- Our host families and staff members have been rated highly in providing services by past participants.
- All host families have been interviewed and their homes have been visited by GlobalPittsburgh staff.
- We work with each applicant individually to secure the best matching host family.
- By arranging a homestay through GlobalPittsburgh, an international visitor automatically becomes a GlobalPittsburgh member. The benefits of membership in our organization are priceless for international newcomers! It is a great way to connect to local residents and other internationals through networking activities arranged by GlobalPittsburgh.
Apply for a Homestay
Learn more about the program, application process, and fees by downloading our Homestay Program Overview and Application Form. If you need assistance with estimating your homestay payment, or have any other questions, please contact Nadya Kessler at email@example.com.